A unique school for individuals on the autism spectrum custom built to set students up for life after school.
Gersh Academy West Hempstead
The West Hempstead location is our longest running and largest Gersh Academy school in the country. With award-winning Gersh programs and a deeply rooted position in the community, the West Hempstead location provides best in class autism education while also setting our students up for life after school by providing the best vocational training available.
In addition to the award-winning custom academic programs all Gersh Academy students enjoy, students at West Hempstead benefit from:
- Vocational training and job placement at well-known businesses in the community
- Daily living skills training, including cooking and maintaining a home
- Access to the NY Equestrian Center, where students can receive Equine Therapy, functional skills training, and vocational training alongside their academics
- Deep social interaction within our large student body and the greater community
- Community involvement in the area including educational trips and participation in local events
- and so much more.
To learn more about the unique opportunities our West Hempstead location provides, call us today at 631-385-3342 or simply fill out the following form and a representative from our team will reach out to you!
Gersh Academy Vocational Program
While every Gersh Academy student benefits from Vocational training, our West Hempstead location serves as a shining example of what is possible with a well-designed program combined with an engaged and open community ready to serve our wonderful students.
Gersh Academy holds many partnerships and certifications that allow us to provide incredible job opportunities for all of our students. For example, we are a TJX Companies National Community Partner, allowing our students access to placements in top brands such as TJ Maxx. Our school has a relationship with countless other businesses in the area, including Home Depot, Western Beef, Local Medical and Food Service businesses, and more.
Quick Facts about West Hempstead:
- 100% of our West Hempstead High School students are employed through internships and vocational training opportunities at businesses within the community.
- High School students are well trained in the use of public transportation, and regularly navigate them to reach their work destinations.
- Graduates have the opportunity to join our Gersh Experience program, designed for young adults on the autism spectrum aiming towards a college degree and/or career path.
- West Hempstead Students benefit from regular day trips and field days at West Hills Day Camp, Long Island's Premier Summer Camp.
- West Hempstead is one of the largest and longest running Gersh Academy schools in the country.
Gersh Academy Quick Stats
95% of students leave Gersh Academy with a minimum of a local diploma, with many going on to college or entering the workforce.
80% of non-verbal students are able to communicate either verbally or via technology by the time they graduate from Gersh Academy.
80% of our high school students have jobs outside of Gersh Academy, as part of our vocational programs.